The popular guitar classes have again increased in number for 2018, and there is now a wider choice for both acoustic and electric guitarists, covering all ages and abilities and with opportunities for solo, duet and ensemble performances.
- General: All the Festival’s General Rules apply to Music classes. Additional rules for Music are set out below.
- Accompanist: A competent official accompanist will be provided. No other will be allowed.
- Pieces: No competitor may perform a piece with which they have previously been awarded first prize in this Festival. Own choices must be shown on the entry form together with each piece, where there is an accompaniment, must be sent with the form. Each piece must be stuck (not stapled) together in a way suitable for the accompanist. On the day of the competition the competitor must bring an original copy of each own choice piece for the adjudicator. Failure to do this will lead to cancellation of the entry. Pieces of music must be collected at the end of the class; any not collected will only be returned by post after the cost of postage is received.
- Musical Theatre: All music from shows is subject to copyright law. Songs from shows in current production may be sung as a concert item, with no movement or costume, without need for copyright permission. Where movement or costume is included in a performance copyright permission is required and the Festival committee accept these entries on the basis that copyright permission has been granted.
- Copyright: The Festival cannot be held responsible for any breaches of the copyright law and it should be noted that copyright regulations protect music works for 70 years after the death of the composer. The Music Publishers Association, however, has issued a Code of Practice on copyright works with the following concession: When an Own Choice Piece is selected from a publication containing several different works and which is not published separately, one copy may be made for the use of an adjudicator at a competition or festival provided that the competitor or participant has already purchased his/her own copy. The photocopy will be retained and destroyed by the administrator of the competition or festival immediately after the event. The permission specifically does not apply to set works. Other items must not be photocopied without the permission of the copyright holder in each case.
When using music downloaded from the Internet, the performer should also print off and submit the permission statement that accompanies the music submitted with the entry form.
- To meet Child Protection regulations, parents and guardians are required to ensure their child(ren) under the age of 16, while travelling to, at or taking part in the Festival, are under their care or under the care of a responsible adult.
- Fees: Entrance fees are £5.50 for each children’s class, £6.50 for each open or adult class, £8 for each duet class and £3 per person in ensembles of 3 – 6 entrants. There is also an administration charge of £2.00 per entrant.
- All Music and Singing entry forms must be received, with the proper fee, by the Music Co-ordinator, Sylvia Howard, 28 Mythop Road, Lytham, FY8. Fees are non refundable. The closing date for Music and Singing entries is Friday 7th December 2018.
|G1||Age 11 and under Popular Solo||Own choice|
|G2||Age 11 and under Classical Solo||Own choice|
|G3||Age 12 – 14 Popular Solo||Own choice|
|G4||Age 12 – 14 Classical Solo||Own choice|
|G5||Age 15 – 18 Popular Solo||Own choice|
|G6||Age 15 – 18 Classical Solo||Own choice|
|G7||Grades 1 -2 Age 11 and under||Own choice|
|G8||Grades 1 – 2 Age 12 and above||Own choice|
|G9||Grades 3-5 Age 18 and under||Own choice|
|G10||Grades 6-8 Open||Own choice|
|G11||Open Solo – any style||Own choice|
|(G7 – G10 any piece from a current examination syllabus)|
|G12||Song Writing Composition Age 18 and under – sung and self accompanied by the entrant||Own Choice|
|G13||Open Duet||Own Choice|
|G14||Open Ensemble (3 or more players)||Own Choice|
|G15||Age 11 and under Solo||Own Choice|
|G16||Age 12 – 14 Solo||Own Choice|
|G17||Age 15 – 18 Solo||Own Choice|
|G18||Open Solo||Own Choice|